Bay Leaves, Tej Patta, Brinji Illai, Biriyani Leaves, TRS 30g
Bay leaf is an important spice which is also known as “Tej-patta” in India. As name suggest, bay leaves are the dried aromatic leaves from the “Bay Laurel tree”, which are oval in shape and pointed at the tip with smooth edge. Bay leaves impart a lovely flavor to the food in which they are cooked. Bay leaves are used in cooking for their distinctive flavor and fragrance, which has a strong pungent smell and are sharp-bitter in taste. These are widely used in cooking throughout the world. Bay leaves are most commonly used in Indian and Pakistani cuisines. Bay leaves are also used as a fixture in the cooking of many European cuisines as well as those from North America. Bay leaves releases their flavor in slow cooking recipes such as meat, chicken, Biryani and other hot-spicy dishes. Bay leaves are used as a whole or in powdered form. Whole leaves are often used in slow cooking dishes and crushed or ground leaves can be used for extra strength. Powdered Indian bay leaves are main ingredients in the Indian spice mixture “garam masala” and are used for cooking varieties of tasty dishes like Korma and curries. The bay leaves are frequently used to flavor soups, stews meat, sea foods and vegetable dishes in Mediterranean cuisine. They are also useful in adding flavor to vegetables, fishes, seafood or chickens when cooked in steam. Bay leaf is also often included as a pickling spice. Many essential oils used in perfumery are extracted from the bay leaf. It has also a great medicinal value and used in home remedies.
Medicinal uses of Bay leaves(Tej Patta,Brinji Illai):
• Bay leaves are useful in the treatment for high blood sugar, migraine headaches, bacterial and fungal infections and gastric ulcers.
• Bay leaves and berries have been used for their astringent, carminative, diaphoretic, digestive, diuretic, emetic and stomachic properties.
• Bay leaf is also an anti-fungal and anti-bacterial and has also been used to treat rheumatism, amenorrhea and colic.
How to use Bay leaves in Indian cooking ?
Bay leaves are most often used as a whole in cooking indian dishes and removed just before serving. Bay leaves can also be crushed or ground depending upon the recipe taste and flavor.
Indian recipe: Chicken Kebab with Bay Leaves
Recipe Ingredients for preparing Chicken Kebab with Bay Leaves:
• 14 large bay leaves
• 1/4 cup finely chopped red onion
• 3 tablespoons lemon juice
• 1 tablespoon olive oil
• 2 garlic Cloves , minced
• 1/2 teaspoon Paprika
• 500gm skinless boneless Chicken cut into 48 cubes
• 1 lemon, halved and cut into 24 thin slices, seeds removed
• Salt as per taste
Preparation Method for Chicken Kebab with Bay leaves:
• Combine the Onions, lemon juice, oil, garlic, paprika, salt, and 2 of the bay leaves in a zip-close plastic bag; add the chicken.
• Squeeze out the air and seal the bag turn to coat the chicken.
• Refrigerate, turning the bag occasionally, at least 20-30 minutes or up to 1 day.
• Soak the remaining 12 bay leaves with 12 (7-inch) wooden skewers in water to cover for 30 minutes.
• Cut each bay leaf in half crosswise using kitchen scissors.
• Remove the chicken from the marinade.
• Thread a piece of chicken on a skewer, followed by half a bay leaf, followed by another piece of chicken, followed by a lemon slice.
• Repeat again, so that you have 4 chicken pieces, 2 bay leaf halves, and 2 lemon slices on each skewer.
• Spray the grill rack with nonstick spray, preheat the grill to medium or prepare a medium-hot fire.
• Grill the skewers, turning frequently, until the chicken is browned and cooked through, about 8 minutes.
• Serve hot with Rice.
Other Indian recipes made from Bay leaves are :
• Pumpkin white pepper and bay leaves
• Baked potato with bay leaves
• Fish bullion
• Roast chicken with orange peel and bay leaf
• Beef in bay leaf gravy
• Vegetarian Chillies
• Chana Dal Masala
• Dal makhni
• Brown rice with bay leaf recipe
• Corned beef
Other names of bay leaves are: Indian bay leaf, Tamaalpatra, Tejpatt, tejpat, tejpata, Tamalpatrar, Biryani Aaku, Punnai ilai, Echter Lorbeer, Apollo’s Bay Leaf, Bay Laurel, sweet Laurel, Lorbeerblatten.
Type : Leaves
Color: Light green/ brown
Buy Bay Leaves, Tej Patta, Brinji Illai, Biriyani Leaves from Indian grocery online shop at cheap price with best quality