Cardamom Green, Choti Elaichi, Yelakkai, Aromatic Spices, TRS, 50g
Ealichi Cardamoms are commonly known as “Green cardamom or choti elaichi” in India, which are a small seed pod of spindle shape but triangular in cross section
and has green colored outer shell with black colored seeds inside. Green cardamom has a strong unique taste with an intensely aromatic and resinous fragrance.
Green cardamoms are extensively used in preparing various Indian cuisines. Cardamom flavor enhances both Sweet
and savory dishes. In India, cardamom is used in flavoring desserts such as ice cream (kulfi), rice and different meat dishes. It is also used in tea which gives the tea a characteristic scented taste,
while in Arab countries it is use to flavor the coffee. In the Middle East, green cardamom powder is used as a spice for sweet dishes as well as traditional
flavoring in Coffee
and tea. Cardamom pods are ground together with coffee beans to produce a powdered mixture of the two, which is boiled with water to make
coffee. In Europe green cardamom is used in preparing many kinds of special breads and pastries. Green Cardamoms are used as flavoring for food, drinks and
desserts recipes. In South Asia, green cardamom is often used in traditional Indian sweets and in Masala chai (spiced tea). Black cardamom is sometimes used
in Garam Masala
How to use?
Whole pods of cardamom can be added during cooking, but to release the intense flavor one should first give them a quick bash with a rolling pin to expose
the seeds and then add to the dishes. If whole pods is used then it can either be discarded after cooking or left in for decoration only (they are not edible).
When a recipe requires just the cardamom seeds, slit the pod lengthways with a small sharp knife to release the seeds.
Uses of Cardamom:
• The green cardamom pods can be used whole or split when cooked in Indian substantial meals – such as pulses. Otherwise, the seeds can be bruised and fried before adding main ingredients to the pan, or pounded with other spices as required. Keep the pods whole until use.
• Green Cardamoms are used mainly in the near and Far East. Its commonest Western manifestation is in Dutch “windmill” biscuits and Scandinavian-style cakes and pastries.
• Green cardamom features in curries, and it is essential in biryani, pulao (rice dishes) and gives character to pulse dishes.
• Cardamom is often included in Indian sweet dishes and drinks. At least partially because of its high price, it is seen as a “festive” spice.
• Green cardamoms are also used in pickles, especially pickled herring.
• Green cardamoms are occasionally with meat, poultry and shellfish.
• Green cardamom flavors custards, and some Russian liqueurs.
• Cardamom is also chewed habitually (like nuts) where freely available, as in the East Indies, and in the Indian betel pan. It is a flavoring for Arab and Turkish coffee which is served with an elaborate ritual.
• Individual seeds are sometimes chewed, in much the same way as chewing-gum, which is helpful to neutralize the toughest breath odors.
• Green cardamom in South Asia is broadly used to treat infections in teeth and gums, to prevent and treat throat troubles.
• Green cardamom prevents congestion of the lungs and pulmonary tuberculosis, inflammation of eyelids and also digestive disorders.
• Green cardamom are also is used to break up kidney stones and gall stones, and was reportedly used as an antidote for both snake and scorpion venom.
• Chewing green cardamom in mouth helps to reducing morning sickness and motion sickness.
• Green cardamoms are also used as mouth fresheners.
Indian recipe: Elaichi kheer
Recipe Ingredients to prepare Elaichi kheer:
• 1 teaspoon green Cardamom Green
• Wash the rice and cook till soft in 3 cups of water in a pressure cooker. Mix vigorously till the rice grains are mashed.
• Heat the milk in a flat, wide mouthed vessel.
• Add the sugar, bring to the boil and then add the rice mixture and allow cooking over a slow heat.
• Wash and add the raisins to the rice.
• Soak saffron in a cup of hot milk. Stir with a teaspoon and add to the rice mixture on the stove. Do not allow the mixture to stand but keep stirring till the milk is reduced to half its quantity. Add the Green cardamom powder.
• Cool and chill pour in little silver bowls topped with almonds.
• Decorate it with Silver foil and serve with puri.
Other recipes made from Green cardamoms are:
• Elaichi wali chai
• Elaichi coffee
• Puran poli
• suji ka halwa
• alu ka halwa
• lauki ki kheer
• Gajar ka halwa
• Elaichi semiya
• benami kheer
• shahi kheer
• Sooji kheer
• shahi paneer
• Mango phirni
Other names for green cardamom are: Elaichi, eliche, Yaalukalu, Choti elaichi, Elach, Ilachi, Lila Alchi, Elakkai, Pach Elakkaya , Yalakki, Hasuru, Grüner Kardamom.
Type: Seed pods
Color: Light green
Taste: Sweet aromatic
Visit our online Whole sale Shop for cheap and best Cardamom Green, Choti Elaichi, Yelakkai, Aromatic Spices.