Cinnamon, Dalchini, Pattai, Lavang Patta, TRS, Produce of China, 50g
- Additional information
Cinnamon, Dalchini, Pattai, Lavang Patta, TRS, 50g
Cinnamon is commonly known as “Dalchini” in India which is a spice obtained from the inner bark of cinnamomum tree which has a fine less dense and crumbly texture. It has a strong aroma and it is generally brown in color. Cinnamon barks are widely used as spice in preparing varieties of delicious spicy dishes, hot spicy dishes as well as in desserts recipes. Cinnamon is also used in the preparation of chocolates in Mexico. Cinnamon adds a delicious flavor in savory dishes of chicken, meat and lamb. Cinnamon stick is also used in the preparation of thick soups, drinks curries and sweet dishes. Cinnamon can be used in its powdered or stick form. Cinnamon sticks are break into a couple of pieces before using it and then remove before serving the dish. The characteristic rich, warm and sweet fragrance makes it one of the most evocative of spices and a much used ingredient in many cuisines worldwide. In Indian subcontinent, cinnamon sticks are heavily used in savory dishes such as moles, curries, roasted meats, vegetables and rice dishes. Cinnamon is also used in making garam masala mix powder.
Use of cinnamon:
• Cinnamon is used in making cinnamon toast, chocolates and cookies.
• Cinnamon is used in making a delicious warming and healthy beverage by simmering cinnamon sticks with soymilk and honey.
• Adding ground cinnamon to black beans to be used in burritos or nachos will give them a uniquely delicious taste.
• Cinnamon is used in many recipes in Middle Eastern meal.
• Cinnamon is used in making slow cooing recipes like meat lamb and chickens.
• Ground cinnamon is used in preparing curries and vegetables
Medicinal use of cinnamon:
• Cinnamon is an excellent source of manganese and a very good source of dietary fiber, calcium and iron.
• Cinnamon may improve blood glucose and cholesterol levels in people with Type 2 diabetes. Eating 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon powder per day is very helpful in controlling diabetes.
• Cinnamon soothes the stomach, and may help prevent ulcers suppresses the bacteria that causes urinary tract infections and the fungus associated with yeast infections
• Cinnamon helps to reduces cholesterol levels in particular, lowering bad cholesterol while leaving good cholesterol the same.
• Cinnamon is effective on blood sugar that makes it a potential help in the war against obesity and insulin resistance.
Indian recipe: Biryani
• 6 tablespoons vegetable oil
• 4 small potatoes, peeled and halved
• 2 large onions, finely chopped
• 2 cloves garlic, minced
• 1 tablespoon minced fresh ginger root
• 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
• 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
• 1/2 teaspoon ground turmeric
• 1 teaspoon ground cumin
• 2 medium tomatoes, peeled and chopped
• 2 tablespoons plain yogurt
• 2 tablespoons chopped fresh mint leaves
• 1/2 teaspoon ground cardamom
• 1 (2 inch) piece cinnamon stick
• 1kg boneless, skinless chicken pieces cut into chunks
• 1 large onion, diced
• 1 pinch powdered saffron
• 5 pods cardamom
• 3 whole cloves
• 1 (1 inch) piece cinnamon stick
• 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
• 500g basmati rice
• 4 cups chicken stock
• Salt as per taste.
• Heat a pan with 2 tablespoon oil.
• Add the potatoes and fry it until it turns golden brown and put it aside.
• Add 2 tablespoons oil to the pan add the chopped onion and fry it until brown.
• Add garlic and ginger and stir it well.
• Add chili, pepper, turmeric, cumin, salt and the tomatoes.
• Fry, stirring constantly for 5 minutes.
• Add yogurt, mint and cardamom.
• Now add the cinnamon stick.
• Add cloves and ginger.
• Cover and cook over low heat.
• When the mixture is thick and smooth, add the chicken pieces and stir well to coat them with the spice mixture.
• Cover and cook over very low heat until the chicken is tender, approximately 45 minutes.
• Wash rice well and drain in colander for at least 30 minutes.
• Heat 2 tablespoon vegetable oil in a Pan.
• Add the chopped onion and fry it until they are golden.
• Add the rice.
• Stir continuously until the rice is coated with the spices.
• Add the saffron and mix it well.
• In a medium-size pot, heat the chicken stock and salt. When the mixture is hot pour it over the rice and stir well.
• Add the chicken mixture and the potatoes; gently mix them into the rice. Bring to boil. Cover the saucepan tightly, turn heat to very Low and steam for 20 minutes.
• Garnish the delicious Biryani dish with fresh green chopped coriander leaves.
Other recipes made from flat cinnamon stick are:
• Chilled curried apple soup
• Cinnamon tea
• Prawn pathia
• Sweet pickled cauliflower
• Cinnamon cookies
• Spicy lentils malasa
• Korma, chicken curry
• Vegetable and coconut curry
• Kashmiri dam alu
• Vegetable pulao
• Matar pulao
Other names of Cinnamon stick are: Cinamon, Dalchini, Daroochini, Dalcheni, Dalachini, Tuj lavangapattai, Karuvapatta, Dalchina Chekka dalchini, Dalchini Zimt, zimtbaum.
Type: Flat small Stick
Buy original ethnic TRS Cinnamon sticks from www.indische-lebensmittel.de or www.online-indian-shop.com in Germany.