Coconut is a sweet, milky white cooking base made from the flesh of the coconut, which is white in color, has high oil content, high sugar and rich in taste. Coconut Milk or “Gati” is traditionally made by mixing the grated meat of a ripe coconut with warm water and then squeezing out the milky juice. Coconut Milk is commonly used in preparing delicious indian cuisine . Two grades of coconut milk exist: thick and thin. Thick milk is mainly used to make desserts and rich, dry sauces. Thin milk is used for soups and general cooking. To make the curry sauce, the Organic Coconut Milk is first cooked over fairly high heat to break down the milk and cream and then allow the oil to separate. The Curry Paste is then added, any other seasonings, meats, vegetables and garnishes. Sweetened coconut milk is served on its own as a drink during spring and summer. It is made by adding sugar and evaporated or fresh milk during the process of preparing the coconut milk.
How to use canned coconut milk ?
Tinned cream/milk – For recipes requiring Coconut Cream , do not shake the tin before opening. Spoon out the thick cream on top. Refrigerating the tin makes the cream harden so it can be easily removed from the watery milk. The cream and milk can then be used separately although the milk will not be as rich. For recipes requiring coconut milk, shake the tin vigorously before using.
Indian recipe: pulao in coconut milk
Recipe Ingredients for pulao in coconut milk:
• 2 cups long grained rice (basmati)
• 3 tbsp Ghee or butter or oil
• 2 medium Onion , finely sliced
• 2 Green Chillies
• 2 tsp Ginger Garlic Paste
• 1 big sized tomato, chopped
• 1 small bunch of Mint Leaves , chopped
• 1 small bunch of Coriander , chopped
• 1 cup Coconut Milk
• 2 cups water
• Salt as per taste
Cooking Method for pulao in coconut milk:
• Wash, soak rice for 15 minutes, drain and set aside.
• Heat Ghee , butter or oil in a wide frying pan and fry the cashew nuts until golden.
• Remove the cashew nuts and set on a paper towel.
• Add the condiments.
• Add sliced Onion and Chillies
• Sauté until onions are translucent and are just beginning to turn golden.
• Add the Ginger Garlic Paste and chopped tomato and cook for 5 minutes until the moisture from the tomato is dry.
• Add the chopped mint and Coriander and after they just with, add the drained rice and mix well.
• Once the moisture from the rice has evaporated (it takes about 5 minutes), take off from heat.
• Garnish with chopped Coriander Leaves and serve hot with pappad , Pickles , Chutneys and raita
Other Indian names of coconut milk are: Nariyal, Narcole, Narikol, Nadia, Naral, Naliyar, Thengai, Nalikeram, thenga, Kobbari Kaaya, Tenginakai , kokos milch.
Purchase Coconut Powder, Thengai Powder from indian online store at low price with best quality.