Coconut Sambal, Red Chilli Sambol, Sri Lanka, Rabeena, 325g
Coconut sambal is a great summer dish that is suited to young and old alike. This dish is mainly used in Srilankan region. This is an accompaniment and goes with any dish. This can be ground in a grinder or pound in a mortar using a pestle. It is cheap and easy to make and is enjoyed from humble homes in rural areas to the 5 star hotels of Colombo. Sambals provide a light, sharp contrast to the earthy flavours of the curries. Many are based on freshly grated coconut with coriander, lime and
tomatoes stirred through. This coconut-based version works well with both fish and vegetable curries.
Ingredients to prepare Coconut Sambal:
• Whole red chillies – 15 grams
• Green chillies – 2
• Tamarind – 1 tablespoon
• Oil – 1 tablespoon
• Desiccated coconut – 75 grams
• Onion chopped – 4
• Garlic – 3 cloves
• Whole black pepper – 1 teaspoon
• Sprigs curry leaves – 2
• Salt – 1 ½ teaspoon
• Hot water – 2 tablespoons
1. Soak the coconut in 2 tablespoons hot water.
2. In a fry pan heat the oil and fry the chillies and curry leaves for a few minutes
3. In a blender or food processor grind together first the red chillies, curry leaves, green chillies, whole black pepper, and tamarind.
4. Once ground add the coconut and grind the whole mixture. Then add the onion and salt and grind together.
Buy Coconut Sambal, Red Chilli Sambol from our Online Indian Shop at cheap rate with best quality.