Kala jeera is a spice which is popular in Northern Indian cuisine. It is used to flavor meat and rice dishes, with a distinct rich, nutty, slightly grassy taste. Kala jeera is also known as black cumin, which can be confusing, since several other seeds are also called “black cumin.” The seeds are also pressed to yield an essential oil which is used in some traditional medicinal practices. Kala jeera is said to be particularly helpful for digestive issues. Kala jeera may be baked into breads, added to curry pastes and blends, or steamed with rice to give it a distinctive scent, especially in Northern Indian food.
Indian Recipe: Masura Dali with Kala Jeera
Recipe Ingredients for Masura Dali with Kala Jeera :
• Masoora Dali – 50 gms
• Ghee – 3 tsp
• TRS Kala Jeera – 1 tsp
• turmeric powder – ½ tsp
• green chilies – 2
• fresh lemon – Half
• sugar – ½ tsp
• Chopped coriander leaf for garnishing
• Salt to taste
1. Pressure-cook the lentils with 5 times water for 10 mins in low flame. Please note that we are not adding anything else to it. Not even salt. The Dal needs to be cooked till its soft and almost mashed. If the dal remains hard it completely upsets the balance.
2. Take a Kadei. Add ghee when the pan is hot.
3. Add the Kala Jeera to sputter when the Ghee is hot.
4. Add the split green chilies.
5. Add the boiled dal.
6. Now add turmeric, sugar and salt and simmer for 5 minutes.
7. Squeeze the lemon just before switching off the flame.
Buy Original authentic spices like Kala Jeera, Caraway Seeds, Shahi Jeera, Jeeragam from our online Indian shop.