Nutmeg Husk, Whole, Javentry, Mace, Jathikai, TRS, 50g
Nutmeg is commonly known as “Jaifal” in India, which is the hard brown seed from the nutmeg tree which has a warm, spicy and sweet flavor. Nutmeg complements egg dishes and vegetables like cabbage, spinach, broccoli and beans. Nutmeg flavors Italian mortadella sausages, Scottish haggis and Middle Eastern lamb dishes.Nutmegs are roughly egg shaped about 25 mm long and 15-18 mm wide and weighs between 5-10 gm. Nutmeg is used in preparing many Indian sweets and in savory dishes It is often included as part of the Moroccan spice blend ras el hanout. Nutmegs are also used to flavor many kinds of baked goods, confections, puddings, meats, sausages, sauces and beverages.
How to use Nutmeg(whole Jaifal)?
Nutmeg is always used in either in grounded or grated form. Generally one whole nutmeg when grated equals to 2 – 3 teaspoons of ground nutmeg. Nutmeg should always be used in small quantity.
• Nutmeg is used in flavoring many Indian dishes.
• It may also be used in small quantities in Garam Masala .
• Nutmeg is always used in ground or grated form.
• In Middle Eastern cuisine, ground nutmeg is often used as a spice for savory dishes.
• In European cuisines, Nutmegs are used especially in Potato dihes and in processed meat product.
• Nutmeg is usually associated with sweet, spicy dishes — pies, puddings, custards, cookies and spice cakes. It combines well with many cheeses, and is included in soufflés and cheese sauces.
• Nutmeg is used in soups it works well with tomatoes, split Peas , chicken or black beans.
• Nutmegs are also used in soup, sauce, jam and baked goods.
• Nutmeg is used to add flavor to vegetables such as Brussels sprouts, cauliflower, and string beans. Nutmeg is a traditional ingredient in curry powder.
• Grounded nutmeg is used to sprinkle on the top of the drink.
• Nutmeg is also used in pickles
• Nutmeg is also blended or boiled to make iced nutmeg juice.
• The essential oil is obtained by steam distillation of ground nutmeg, and is used widely in the perfumery and pharmaceutical industries. The oil is colorless or light yellow, and smells and tastes of nutmeg.
Medicinal use of Nutmeg(Whole Jaifal):
• Nutmeg is used in small quantities as a medicine for infants (in janma-ghutti ).
• Nutmeg should be used in small dosages. nutmeg can reduce flatulence, aid digestion, improve the appetite and treat diarrhea, vomiting and nausea.
• The essential oil present in nutmeg is also used in the cosmetic and pharmaceutical industries, for instance, in toothpaste, and as a major ingredient in some cough syrups.
• In traditional medicine, nutmeg and nutmeg oil were used for disorders related to the nervous and digestive systems.
Indian recipe: Puran Poli (Maharashtrian)
Recipe Ingredients for Puran Poli(Maharashtrian):
• 2 cups Chana Dal , soaked in water for 4 hours
• 2 cups Sugar(Jaggery) (adjust for sweetness)
• 2 cups refined flour
• 3 tbsp Oil
• 1 tsp Cardamom powder
• 1/4th tsp nutmeg powder
• 3/4 tsp Turmeric Powder
Preparation Method for Puran Poli(Maharashtrian ):
• Cook chana dal in a pressure cooker till it turns soft. Drain out excess water until the dal is absolutely becomes dry.
• Add the jaggery and cook further and then mash into a soft paste.
• Add cardamom powder, saffron, and freshly grated nutmeg powder and mix well.
• Make 20 balls of equal size and put it aside.
• Mix refined flour, oil, water and turmeric powder. Make very soft, sticky dough. Knead very well. Use oil to knead. Divide into 20 equal portions.
• With greased palms, take one portion of dough and flatten it into a disc of the size of the palm. Place a ball of “chana jaggery” paste in the centre and fold the disc from all sides to cover the paste completely.
• On a well-floured board, better over a sheet of clean transparent plastic wrap, gently roll out each poli to a 6 inches disc. This can get tricky as the paste does try to slide out. Use a little flour if that happens.
• Roast each poli on a hot, dry pan.
• Roast both sides well. Smear with Ghee on both sides when done.
• Serve warm with clarified butter or a bowl of milk.
Other recipes made from Nutmegs are:
• Baked stuffed pumpkin
• Spinach with Nutmeg
• Nutmeg sauce
• Nutmeg crisp
• Buttermilk fried cakes
• Baked rice pudding
• Tomato chutney
• Pureed potatoes
• Custard pie
• Whole wheat cinnamon buns
• Carrot halwa
Other names of Nutmegs are: Jaiphal, jaiphul, taiphal, Jatipatri, Jathi, jaaji kaaya, Jaapatri, noix muscade, Muskatnuss, taipmal, pala, jathikkai
Taste: Sweet aromatic
Order Nutmeg, Whole Jaifal, Jaiphal, Jathikai, TRS, from indian grocery store at low cost with best quality