Sabudhana, Tapioca Balls, Sago, Javarisi, TRS, 500 g
Tapioca is called sabu or sabudana in India.Tapioca is a starch extracted from cassava and it act as a thickening agent. It is gluten-free and low protein. Saboodana is rich in carbohydrates and gives boost of energy . Hence it served in India for breaking fasts during religious festivals. Sago gruel is also great when you’re sick because it gives you quick energy and is easy to digest. According to Ayurveda, sago and rice have a cooling effect on the system, hence sago gruel is given if you have excess bile. Generally it is prepared by crush a Tapioca stem in a tank and stored for many days. It isspeculated that starch/ flours added to the paste, dried and finally made in to small balls of saboodana.
Indian Recipe:Sabudana Khichdi
Recipe Ingredients for Sabudana Khichdi:
• Tapioca pearls – 3/4 cup [sabudana]
• Water – 1 cup
• Large boiled potato, peeled & cubed – 1
• Grape tomatoes – 6-8
• Peanuts – 1/4 cup
• Cumin seeds – 2 tsp
• Green chilli – 1 finely chopped
• Red chilli powder – 1/2 tsp
• Handful of chopped apricots & golden raisins
• Fresh lime juice – 2 tbsp [adjust to taste] • Salt to taste
• Canola oil – 3 tbsp
• Chopped cilantro
1. Heat the oil over medium heat,in a wide-mouthed, heavy bottomed pot,.
2. Once the oil starts slightly smoking, add the cumin seeds and let them crackle.
3. Next add the boiled, cubed potatoes and saute them for 5 minutes till they do not change color but start to crisp.
4. Next add the chopped tomatoes, chilli powder and chopped chilli and saute for 3-4 minutes more.
5. Add the toasted peanuts, dry fruits and saute for another 1-2 minutes.
6. Add the soaked tapioca pearls along with salt and chopped cilantro next.
7. Immediately remove from heat.The heat from the pot is enough to cook up the tapioca.
8. This step is important to ensure that the pearls do not stick to each other.
9. Squirt fresh lemon juice over the tapioca and serve warm.
Other recipes made from Sabudana:
• Sabudana kheer,
• Sabudana Wadas,
• Sabudana Tikki Chat,
• Sabudana kay waday,
• Sabudana Thalipeeth,
• Sabudana Dessert
Taste:Salt and Sweeet
Buy Sabudhana, Tapioca Balls, Sago, Javarisi from our online grocery store.