Semolina is a very gritty, coarse type of flour, usually made from wheat however the term is also applied to maize. It contains the nutritious heart of the grain, which is left behind during milling when the finer flour is sifted. Semolina is made from durum wheat, a hard variety of wheat quite unlike the wheat used to make bread. Durum semolina is commonly used in the manufacturing of pasta because of its high gluten content, which gives the pasta its pleasant taste and ensures that it retains its shape during the cooking process.
Recipe Ingredients for semolina pancake:
• semolina – 1 1/2 cups
• fresh curds – 3/4 cup
• cooked corn – 3/4 cup
• green chillies, chopped – 2
• baking soda – 1/2 tsp
• melted ghee or oil – 2 tsp
• asafoetida – 2 pinches
• salt to taste
• carrot – 1
• chopped coriander – 2 tbsp
1. Mix the semolina and curds with 1 teacup of water and keep aside for at least 5 to 6 hours.
2. Add the remaining ingredients and mix very well.
3. Prepare small pancakes on a non-stick frying pan (griddle) using a little ghee. Sprinkle grated carrot and coriander while cooking.
4. Serve hot with coconut chutney.
Buy Semolina, Rava, Suji, Sooji from our Indian online grocery store at Germany.