- Additional information
Toor Dal, Yellow Split Pea, Tuvar Dhal, Thuvaram Paruppu, Red Gram, TRS, 2Kg
Toor dal is also known as “Arhar dal or Tuvar Dal” which are prepared from the dried legume pod of Arhar and remove husk and split to obtain yellow Toor dal which are yellow in color. Toor dal available either plain or oily in the Indian grocery shop. Toor dal constitutes an important part of the diet in many parts of the world, especially in the Indian sub-continent which has large vegetarian populations. Toor dal are one of the many common types of dal are used in Indian cooking, especially when it comes to Indian meals. Tarka tomato dal Recipe with Toor dal is a booster for growing children. One advantage of Toor dal over other legumes is that they do not require soaking before cooking. Toor dal is the main ingredient for the famous South Indian curry called Sambar. Sambar is a lentil stew popular in the cooking of southern India. It is generally composed of yellow dal (Toor dal) simmered with tamarind-flavored with authentic Indian spices. Toor dal has a mild, nutty flavor and is cooked as Plain dal, Tarka dal, spinach dal and tomato dal as a routine Indian dish and served with bread & rice. Toor dal is highly nutritious, high in protein, and contains vitamin A and vitamin C.
How to cook Toor dal (Yellow Split Pea,Thuvaram paruppu)?
First rinse 1cup of Toor dal in cold water. Wash it thoroughly to remove surface impurities such as dirt and drain the water. To reduce cooking time, optional step could be to soak it before in cold water for 15 minutes. It will yield 2 cups of Lentils . Now Place Toor dal in a closed pan with water and put it on a high flame for 5-7 minutes and let it cook. Now cooked Toor dal is ready to prepare varieties of delicious Indian recipes.
Indian recipe: Sambar
Recipe Ingredients for Sambar Power
• Coriander seeds – 1 table spoon
• Chana dal – 1 tea spoon
• Urad dal -1/2 tea spoon
• Cumin seeds – 1 tea spoon
• Asafetida – 1/4 tea spoon
• Red chilies – 2 to 4, according to taste
• Black pepper – 1/4 tea spoon
• Mustard seeds – 1/4 tea spoon
• Fenugreek seeds – 1/4 tea spoon
Recipe Ingredients for Sambar:
• Toor dal – 1 small cup
• Tamarind – a lime sized ball
• Onions 2 medium sized, chopped
• Tomatoes – 2 medium sized, chopped
• Curry Leaves – a sprig
• Coriander Leaves – 1 tbsp chopped
• Salt– 1 tea spoon or to taste
• Water – 3-4 cups
Preparation Method for Sambar Powder:
• Roast the sambar powder ingredients on low flame. Grind to fine powder.
• Soak tamarind in warm water for 15 minutes. Get pulp using 1 cup of water
Cooking Method for Toor Dal:
• Cook Toor dal in 2 cups of water till it is soft.
• Heat the oil, in a deep pan
• Add the mustard and the cumin seeds let it crackling.
• Add the asafoetida, turmeric powder, curry leaves and the chopped onions. Fry till golden brown.
• Add the tomatoes. Cook for 5 minutes.
• Add 1 cup water. Add ground Sambar Powder . Boil.
• Mash the cooked dal. Add to the mixture and boil for 5 minutes.
• Add the tamarind pulp, salt. Stir. Add more water if needed.
• Boil for about another 5 minutes.
• Add the chopped coriander leaves. Sambar is ready to serve with dosa, Rava Idli , Rice.
Other Indian recipes made from toor dal are:
• Toor dal khichri
• Toor dal tarka
• Toor dal with tomato
• Toor dal with spinach
• Toor dal with lauki
• Toor dal with pumpkin
• Dal ka dulha,
• Dal pitthi
• Dal curry
• Coconut sambar
• Toor dal ball curry
• Toor dal mutton curry
• Toor dal puri
• Green dal curry
• Dal with ridge gourd
Other indian names for Toor dal are: Tur dal, Tovar dal, Harhar, Ô•hor, Tuvara parippu, Arhar dal, Rahar dal, Kandi pappu, pigeon pea, red gram, Straucherbsen
Buy Toor Dal, Yellow Split Pea, Tuvar Dhal, Thuvaram Paruppu, Red Gram, TRS from indian grocery online shop at low cost with best quality