Black Gram, Urad Dhal, Urid Dal, Ulutham Paruppu, halved without Skin, NGR
The urad dal also called “Black-dal” are dried seed with husk which are ovoid in shape with black skin outside and a prominent white spot on their inner curve. Urad dal has black skin while the inside is creamy white or yellow. This white lentil is rich in protein and iron content which is good for improving hemoglobin count. Urad dal is great for vegan diet consisting of low fat. Urad dal has a smooth texture, nut like flavor and used to prepare in making nutritious soup in all over Europe and America. They are most popularly used in India and Pakistan. Black urad dal are used to prepare in making soups, salad, and mix vegetable and Dal Makhani which is a curry, simmered in cream, butter and thick tomato sauce and flavored with authentic Indian spices, which is very popular Indian cuisine in Punjab. Dal makhani is one of the most famous recipes which have its origin from Punjab. It is good to taste and healthy to eat. It goes well with nan, roti or any Indian bread. When this curry is combined with rice or bread (roti), it supplies high quality protein which provides a healthy alternative to meat and other animal protein. Black urad are unique because they taste wonderful without any spices also. They are used in salad as a whole and also eaten after boiling to a thick consistency and mixed with diced tomatoes, onions and Salt for a Indian Snacks .
How to Cook Urad Dal ?
Take one cup Urad dal in a bowl and add 4 cups of water in it and leave it for at least 8 hours. It will yield 3 cups of Urad dal. Soaked Urad dal can be directly used in salad. It is also used in making pan fry dishes. To prepare Traditional Indian Cuisine from Urad dal, take soaked dal in a closed pan with water and put it on a high flame for 10 minutes and let it partially cook. Cooked Urad dal is ready for preparing varieties of delicious Indian recipes.
Indian recipe: Dal Makhni
Recipe Ingredients for Dal Makhni:
• 1 cup Black Urad Dal whole (cooked)
• 1/4 cup Kidney Beans
• 2 teaspoons Red chili powder
• 3/4 cup Tomato puree
• 2 medium Tomatoes
• 1 tablespoon Ginger Garlic Paste
• 1 teaspoon Garam Masala
• 1 teaspoon Cumin powder(Jeera Powder)
• 4-5 tablespoons Ghee(Butter)
• 3/4 cup Fresh cream (optional)
• Salt to taste.
Cooking Method for Dal Makhni:
• Soak the dal and Red Kidney Beans overnight.
• Into the soaked dal add salt, 1 tsp red chili powder and water (the water should be at least 3 times the amount of dal).
• Cook the dals in pressure until they are cooked.
• Melt the Ghee in a pan and add onions and sauté till they turn brown.
• Add the Ginger Paste sauté till golden brown
• Add finely chopped tomatoes and cook till they become soft.
• Add the Cumin Powder , red chili powder and sauté for 1-2 minutes.
• Add the tomato puree. Saute for another 2-3 minutes.
• Add the cooked dals into this masala.
• Add the Garam Masala Powder .
• Cover and cook over a low flame for about 30 minutes.
• Add the fresh cream and garnish with fresh Coriander Leaves . Serve hot with Naan or Roti .
Other Indian Recipe made from Urad dal are:
• Urad dal khichri
• Urad dal Pulao
• Tarka wali urad dal
• Dal makhni
• Urad dal spicy curry
• Rajsthani spicy dal parathe
• Paruppu beans usili
• Urad bean spicy fry
• Palak dal
• Urad dal pakodi
• Rice sevai usli
• Tomato dal
Other name of Urad dal are: Kali urad, Black dal, Urad bean, Urd, urid, Black matpe beans, Blacke lentils, sabit mash, Ulunathu, Minumulu, Uddina bele, Biri dali, Urdbohne.
Buy original ethnic Urad dal (whole) from www.indische-lebensmittel-online.de or www.online-indian-shop.com in Germany.